Are you completely exhausted, run down, stressed, and overwhelmed? Do you ever fall apart and cry because you don't have the energy to take care of everything? Raise your hands, fellow hot-messes.
Let’s talk about the herb Ashwaganda, an adaptogen that helps the body deal with stress. Everyone from Gwyneth Paltrow to Dr. Axe raves about its ability to reduce anxiety, help with insomnia, and lower cortisol levels.
The problem with Ashwaganda is... well, it's AWFUL. The bitter taste will absolutely destroy a smoothie. I learned that lesson the hard way. I really wanted to figure out a way to incorporate such a helpful herb into my day, so I Googled recipes and learned about Moon Milk. Two winner recipes came up from Bon Apetit and the famous LA's Moon Juice's Golden Milk. I used these as a base to adapt into my own recipe.
The ingredients are an anti-inflammatory DREAM TEAM: ashwaghanda, turmeric (another spice I am eager to use regularly), ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg... plus creamy, protein-rich almond milk. I decided to add a little bit of my Sweet's Syrup for a flavor boost, and the combination is DIVINE, with a very Thai/Indian vibe.
The recipe, my friends:
- 1 cup of almond milk (Homemade makes a WORLD of difference in the taste. I promise it's easy to make: Oh She Glows Almond Milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ashwaghanda (Sun Potion brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (Savory Spice brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maca
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger (again, I prefer Savory Spice)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- A couple drops of liquid Stevia (I prefer Trader Joe's brand)
- A splash of Sweet's Syrup
1. Bring almond milk to a simmer in a small sauce pan on low to medium heat.
2. Add all other ingredients and whisk.
3. Pour into your favorite mug. Sit. Put up your feet. Relax and enjoy.